Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Importance of Mothers




Mothers are commonly seen as comforters
and caretakers. They make home a safe place
for God's children.
After breaking my nose at the end of my senior year of high school, I was to undergo surgery to get it put back into place. I had only been in surgery once before and it was uneventful. This experience however made a lasting impression on me. The surgery had gone well, and I was put in a room while the anesthesia wore off.
After some time, I woke and opened my eyes. To my horror, I couldn’t move my hands, arms, legs or feet. I couldn’t even move my head. I am sure my heart rate picked up as I wondered why I was suddenly paralyzed. I could see my mom waiting on a chair next to me, and I decided to close my eyes and relax a little.

After a few minutes, I opened my eyes and found I could move my head. I said one word, “Mom.” She immediately came to my side and asked what I wanted. All I could do was turn my hand over (which I was relieved to be able to do) and closed my eyes again. Comforted greatly by my mother’s presence.

This pattern of resting and slowly gaining more movement went on for what seemed like an hour, but that might just be because I was so anxious to get full mobility. There was no other person I wanted more than my mother at that moment.

I don’t imagine this is a foreign concept for most people. Mothers are commonly seen as comforters and caretakers. Moms are like God's secret service. Their activities are largely undocumented, their actions are timely and above all, they make home a safe place for God's children.

After God created man, he gave Adam the important task of naming all the animals. I am sure he had to look at them and study them to determine the proper name. We don’t have any rational for any of the other names, but when it came to naming the crown jewel of God’s creations, we are given the significance of her name,

“And Adam called his wife’s name Eve, because she was the mother of all living.” (Gen. 3:20)

Adam didn’t call her Beauty because she was only to look at. He didn’t call her Servant, because she was his slave. He didn’t even call her Trouble, because he shouldn’t have listened to her fruit preference. He chose what he saw as her most important role. They worked hard together; they mourned together and rejoiced together in raising their family.

Many in society belittle the role of women in building the home. In striving for equality, let’s remember that a mother in the home is as equally important as two in the workforce. If you remember the stats I shared in a previous post, mothers create stability in the home and provide crucial attention and nurturing for their children. Such stability reduces costly social problems.

While often unheralded, motherhood is the most influential position a woman can have. It was Moses’ mother, who risked her safety to give her son a chance to survive and thus changed the future of that nation. It was Hannah, the mother of Samuel, who taught him by example, to put the Lord first and prepared him for his later calling in life. You cannot overlook the great influence Mary had on the world, when she bore the son named Jesus Christ.

The Savior’s mission was to save mankind, but one of the final thoughts on his mind, while suffering on the cross, was of his mother.

 “Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene.
“When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold they son!
“Then saith he to the disciple, behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home. (John 19:25-27)

Like the Savior, let us follow his example and look after our mothers. Let them know how important they are in our lives. Like the Proverb says, a foolish man despiseth his mother. A wise son knows that when times are tough, a mother's strength can see you through.

Next Week: The Importance of Fathers

No comments:

Post a Comment